Sunday, November 9, 2008

No Progress


As I may have mentioned, the missus is not too crazy about me "sittin' around on the internet all day" or "wastin' a lot of time out in that 'shop'", so you can imagine how much she enjoys my "sittin' around bloggin' about whatever you're doin' out there", which turns out to be doodley; hence, no pictures of the slabs (third pair, so far on k1.2) which I'm rough sanding to be just a hair oversize. I have to route out one finger notch (which I don't know how I'm going to do, yet), then just fine sand to final fit, pin and glue, with a minimum of freehand sanding, bevels, radiusing, etc. As basic as possible. If I can't do basic I'm not going to be able to do anything fancy, obviously. I've seen where some guys make all-wood knives for practice, so I'm going to, at some point. I've certainly got enough pieces to practice on. Meanwhile, here's my dog, taking time to smell the roses.

I feel kind of bad for all the wood I've wasted over the years, including a really nice piece of ebony that I ruined with a router trying to freehand something or other. The good news is I'm using scraps from furniture projects, of wood that was originally the crates that epay comes in. The crate wood is harder and denser and darker than (almost) any domestic hardwood. I know it will make good handle material, but plain. And simple. Like me, only more patient and careful.

No comments: