Saturday, November 1, 2008

Blade #1, day 2



This is the two sides pinned together with 1/8" drill bits. This keeps them aligned while I drill out the three larger holes, two of which will be used to clamp them together for rough grinding. The two on the left will be removed and the one on the right is a slight problem. To use those I need to drill through the blank, and it turns out that damascus is as hard as it's supposed to be. My first two exploratory borings with a 1/8" bit left an almost unperceptible dimple. Not good. I made the mistake of trying to drill about a 1/2" hole in a piece of stainless and literally trashed every small bit I had, The larger holes are punched in the blank, I may be able to drill it and pin it w/ brass if I buy a couple of expensive bits. If not, I think it will strong enough with pins, rivits and glue.

No comments: