Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bowie - Day Two

It took a couple of hours to drill and file the hole in the guard, I made it a little too long but just about right side-to-side. It didn't fit on tight, but didn't wobble. I did okay soldering it, at least for a first try, and I think it's pretty strong and I didn't get any excess on the front of the guard or the tang. I didn't get it perfectly perpendicular, but I did reheat it once and straighten it better than it came out the first try. I might try again, but I'm not feelin' lucky.

The front of the guard looks reasonably good. I have to detail the edges that got sharpened when I sanded the back flat.


The back is a little messy, but I think I can polish or cover up most of it.  I'm thinking of trying something tricky with the scales to cover the back of the guard, somehow, or put a flat piece on it, (again, somehow I don't know yet, but I can bring it into existence. the power of creation!)

No comments: