Monday, November 17, 2008

Intermission

This was one of the grab bag knives I got from SMKW. It was a well-made, unfinished lockback with the tip broken off. I sanded the blade about 90%, but since it's getting kind of thin, I stopped and sanded the handle and bolster pretty well. Just practice, really. 
I could spend a couple more hours detailing it, but it will never be more than a pretty utility knife. Did I mention that I can use the practice?

I'm starting on the bowie soon. I have a silver ingot I was thinking of using for a guard, but I've never worked with silver; I just know it's harder than brass.  I need to make a real precise rectangular square in it to fit the hilt, so I'm going to practice with some thin brass.  If the brass works well, I'll use it instead of the silver, and get some brass pins. I want to pin it for strength and a way to keep me from sanding off too much wood.  I want the bowie to come out 100%, so it may take awhile.

No comments: