Sunday, November 2, 2008

Knife #1 - day2 - Shot!



I expect to have problems, I'd I know I'm prone to cutting corners and rushing things. Today's effort was textbook screwup. Couldn't quite get the wood scales to match the inside radii in the brass. the first picture shows how many attempts before I got a pair to almost work. The second picture shows how gnarly the bottom the bottom turned out. Bailout time. I'm going to just start over. The crack in the brass is too sloppy even for me. The blank is still almost untouched which is what's making this so difficult. All my practice knives were just slabbed oversize and sanded to match the steel. I'm finding it much harder to disassemble, sand, and reassemble repeatedly, but I'm finding shortcuts like making one fat slab to fit and then carefully sawing in half to make two matching pieces, and drilling from the good side to have any splintering show on the bad side. Now that I know I don't have any junk I can use, I'm going to go as basic as I can. A well made simple knife is better than a crappy fancy one.
I like well made and fancy, like the kind I could buy from Charlton right now, but then what would I blog about? At least I appreciate why they're expensive; this ain't like making wallets at summer camp.

No comments: