Friday, October 31, 2008

Day One, Fitting Slabs



I had this pair of scales from a grab bag of parts. I want to use these because I don't want to try soldering bolsters on. I'm pretty sure I'd mess it up; that the solder would wick into the little channels in the damascus. Maybe after I get a piece of scrap and practice. I know I am sloppy soldering wire and pipe, and I do know that silver solder is quite hard to remove, and that the area where the blade meets the handle is difficult to work around.

I'm polishing the bowie blade with wd40 and 1000 grit paper. I'm only trying to sharpen the contrast, not polish it as such. There are no scratches or gouges, and just a hint of grinder bite in the inside corners. Charlton claims the blades are hand-forged, but I would be impressed even if they weren"t. I was surprised that they came sharpened, but if you look real close you can still see veins of damasc in the edge, making hundreds of little hard saw-teeth. This indicates that the forging greatly increases the number and fineness of of veins at the edge. I don't care if they were made in Wungulistan they got them some hammer-swingers there, even if it's machine hammer.

No comments: