Sunday, May 3, 2009

Classic Modified

I finally finished the "classic" bowie. Charlton sells these blanks, but I'd gotten this a while back, probably from SMKW, and never really figured out how to mount a handle to the short and narrow tang. Now I'm a little more familiar and comfortable with soldering onto damascus, although I got a little too much on the guard, and I'm pretty good at making rectangular holes. For the guard I used a C&O Canal commemorative bronze coin, and the handle was the same crate wood



href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhHPU26DpuBL5WCeCVVtiavWb5sc47LG3TdXLrOSNOyKLX1v-SejTv0VL0lvvyFfabYokwkioTddhcyElZNJvxCEuwLq-_F1QmUabwmzSR5_z6_SOil3aYkanQsoJyAuujLTKKu3uNm9XU/s1600-h/DSCN0314.JPG">







I finally routed a shallow notch in two flats of wood, each cut half of the thickness of the tang. Worked good, although I ended up with a pretty wide gap between the handle and the guard.

I'd take off about five points for the gap, and 2-3 more for lack of finish. (It could use some sanding with 600 and my arm's tired). I'll give it a 95, cause I am the judge!

No comments: